May 05, 2008

The Art of Negotiation

Its been a long time since I have written a post. Well this is usually my starting line in most of my earlier posts. So I thought I will not break the tradition when I am writing after this reasonably long time. What remains to be seen is that how many hits my post will get after this as most must have forgotten my id. Anyways friends I hope to start written more frequently after this. Before I go to the topic a special thanks to my friend who has encouraged/inspired me to start writing again.


I do not know how many books have been written on the art of negotiation or develop you negotiation skills. I have even met a holder of the degree called “Certified Negotiator “.

Well some events which I witnessed during the past one month made me think on these different books and degrees.

I am referring to the period when my parents where in UAE and when we used to go out for shopping. In all these cases my cousin sister also used to accompany us. The manner in which my mother and sister used to negotiate with the shop keepers especially in the Friday Market (Masafi) left me bowled. I can vouch for a million dirham (since I am in UAE I would quote DirhamJ) that they would never have gone through any of the books which educate the people on the Art of Negotiation!!!!!!!!!

This is the typical scenario with any home maker. You may take any house wife or the working class woman who are sharp negotiators. They follow a very simple technique. They first decide on the price they would pay for the product. Afterwards they start the conversation with the shopkeeper in a very nice and calm manner that the shopkeeper is carried away. Then as the saying goes when “Strike when the iron is Hot” is applied with the deal makers strike the price!!!!!!!!! This negotiation is taking place daily in their life from negotiating with a hawker selling vegetable in the street to a big purchases like that of home appliances.

So coming back to the topic of the books on negotiation, these writers have to learn a lot from these simple unassuming home makers who go about negotiating for small and big things as if it is a daily routine. This is in stark contrast from big corporations who throw parties when they successfully negotiate a “big deal”.

So friends do take notice of these small negotiations which happen around us all the time. You will appreciate and learn a hell lot more than what you would by reading the so called “Best Sellers”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) good one. it reminds me of how we negotiated with Johnson Sir for our Math homework/classwork !
same approach, talk nice, make him happy and blushy, and then present our case!

Anonymous said...

Being a person who inspired you into writing again ( or can we say, instrumental in helping you with your writers block), its something profound. people do forget the small things that you have mentioned(including me!). Thanks for the reminder.

Keep writing! :)