January 15, 2007

Silence

SILENCE

Now if you want to me to explain why I have chosen this topic to post, then here is why. It all started yday when my room mate and myself were in the kitchen making tea. As usual I was on a high, blabbering away in Malayalam, Hindi, English and occasional Konkani (to the great discomfort of my roommate!!!!!!!!!). So he requested me to keep my mouth shut for 5 min. I heeded to his requested and kept quiet for around 6 min. It’s those six minutes of silence that has prompted me to write this post.

What is silence?
  • The condition or quality of being or keeping still and silent.
  • A period of time without speech or noise
These are some of the definitions which I got when I browsed through Answers.com. But this was not the case with me. Even though there was no noise outside there was no silence in my mind. It was really difficult for me to keep myself from speaking out loud. I was feeling like a balloon, inflated beyond its capacity, ready to burst. I don’t remember what all thoughts went through my mind in those few minutes. No hand signals or head shakes could remove or pacify that feeling. After around 6 to 7 min, it was unbearable and I started speaking. But to my amazement, instead of speaking loudly and frantically, I was speaking softly for the next few minutes.

Well this is what answers.com has to say about the phenomenon that I experienced:

“Prolonged silence can often affect a person's state of mind, causing them to hear things and talk to themselves to break the silence. Most people find silence uncomfortable, and to the extreme, unbearable. In modern society, especially in the western society, when people are meeting and talking to each other, people often start talking nonsense to skip moments of silence. People seem to have the same feeling all over the world, “

I wonder how it would be for people who are dumb. What would they be experiencing? Anyways, I thank god for whatever he has given me and also pray that no one ever passes through such a situation.

Well I know its not the kind of posts which u would like to read, but I thought I had to express my views somewhere and so this post.

2 comments:

diyadear said...

a very gud thought indeed!!!

Anonymous said...

sometime silence take u to yourself.u just try.